Every Indian dish has one ingredient that is as important as Salt and that is the Garam Masala. Well, at least almost every dish. This is a basic mix of dry roasted and blended spices that adds flavor and aroma to any dish. We used to buy a lot of this from the stores in the US and never ventured to make it ourselves at home.
But, now we bring to you a simple recipe to prepare the Garam Masala right at home in 15 minutes that is full of flavor, aroma and taste.
There are different distinct blends of the Garam Masala used in different parts of India as well as the World. Each Chef has his own blend. Ours is a time-tested Grandma’s blend that will add a zing to your dish.
Do you know?
Using Garam Masala in your dishes is good for health and relieves one of Indigestion, diarrhea, heartburn, intestinal gas, and bloating!
Garam Masala Powder
- Frying Pan
- ½ cup Cumin Seeds
- ½ cup Cardamom Pods
- ¼ cup Peppercorns
- ¼ cup Coriander Seeds
- 3 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 tbsp Cloves
- 10 Nos 2 inch Cinnamon sticks
- 6 Nos Bay Leaves
- 2 tbsp Caraway Seeds (Shah Jeera)
- 1 tbsp Nutmeg powder (Break the Nutmeg to little pieces, dry roast them and make into powder.)
- ½ tbsp Dried Ginger Powder
- Heat a Frying Pan and dry roast all the ingredients (except for the dried Ginger powder) separately.
- Keep them aside to cool down.
- Grind all the roasted ingredients to a smooth powder in a Grinder.
- Add the dried Ginger powder and mix well.
- Store in an air-tight container and use as required in your dishes.