Who doesn’t love a plate of Mutton Dum Biryani that has tender lamb/mutton pieces with spices and mixed with Basmati rice? Check out our delicious Mutton Biryani that is easy to make and as good as a plate of Chicken Biryani.
Check out our Mirchi Ka Salan recipe that is a delicious accompaniment to Mutton Dum Biryani.
Mutton Dum Biryani
- Pressure Cooker
- Biryani Handi
- ½ Kg Mutton or Lamb
- ¼ cup Yogurt or Curd
- 1 teaspoon Biryani Masala Powder (Readymade)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 cups Basmati Rice (Soak for at least 30 - 40 minutes)
- 8 cups Water
- 1 No Bay Leaf
- ½ teaspoon Shahi Jeera
- 3 Nos Green Cardamoms
- 3 Nos Cloves
- 1 No Cinnamon stick (1" long)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3 tbsp Ghee (Oil can be used as well if preferred)
- 1 No Bay Leaves
- ¾ teaspoon Shahi Jeera
- 1 No Star Anise
- 2 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 8 Nos Cloves
- 4 Nos. Green Cardamom
Prepare these additionally
- 1 cup Onions sliced vertically
- 2 Nos Green Chillies slit vertically into halves
- 4 tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 4 tbsp Chopped Mint Leaves
- ¼ cup Yogurt or Curd
- 1 strand Saffron soaked in 2 tbsp of Warm milk (If Saffron is not available, you can mix a pinch of Turmeric powder in warm milk)
- 15 Nos Cashew nuts fried in ghee or oil
- Clean Mutton and take into a bowl.
- Add ¼ cup Curd + 1 teaspoon ready made Biryani Masala + 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder + 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste + ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder + 1½ tbsp Lemon juice + ½ teaspoon Salt + 1tbsp Oil and mix well.
- Cover the bowl and marinate in the Refrigerator for at least 4 hours. If possible, marinating it overnight will give the best results.
Preparing the Rice
- Wash 2 cups of Basmati rice and soak in water for at least 30-40 minutes.
- Drain it completely in a colander and keep it aside.
- Take water in a large pot and bring the water to a boil. Keeping the pot covered with a lid will speed up the boiling of water.
- Add the spices listed under Preparing Rice to the boiling water. (1 No. Biryani leaf + ½ teaspoon Shahi Jeera + 3 Nos. green cardamom + 3 Nos. Cloves + 1" Cinnamon stick + ½ teaspoon Salt).
- Add the drained rice and cook until it is 90% cooked. Take a grain of the cooked rice and when you bite it, it should have a slight bite to it.
- Drain the rice in a colander and keep the rice aside.
- Take 3 tbsp of Ghee (or Oil) into a Pressure cooker (or Kadai) and let it heat.
- Add the spices specified under "Cooking Mutton" (1 No Bay Leaf + ¾ teaspoon Shahi Jeera + 1 No Star Anise + 2 inch Cinnamon stick + 8 Nos Cloves + 4 Nos Green Cardamom).
- Saute for a few seconds until the Cloves sputter.
- Add Onions + Green chillies (sliced).
- Fry till the Onions turn brown.
- Remove ½ of the fried onions and keep aside.
- Add the marinated Mutton now and turn the flame to Low-Medium.
- Add half of the chopped Coriander and half of the chopped Mint leaves and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Put the Pressure cooker lid and cook on a low flame until 3 whistles. Turn off the stove and let the steam off before removing the lid.
- Transfer the cooked mutton to Biryani Handi and add ¼ cup of Curd to it.
- Add ½ of the remaining chopped Coriander and Mint leaves and ½ of the fried onions kept aside and mix well.
- Check the salt and spice and adjust as required.
Cooking the Biryani
- Take the 90% cooked rice and layer it evenly on the Mutton curry in the Biryani handi.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped Coriander, Mint leaves and Fried onions on it.
- Sprinkle the saffron milk on top and add 1 tbsp of Ghee on top.
- Sprinkle the fried Cashew nuts on top.
- Cover the handi with Aluminium foil.
- Cover it with a lid and place a heavy weight on top of it.
- Heat an iron tawa (pan) on a high flame and place the Handi on top of the tawa. This will prevent the Handi getting hot directly and burning the mutton pieces inside.
- Cook on a low flame for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and let the Handi stand as is for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and the aluminium foil and gently turn the rice over. Server hot!
- Serve hot with Raitha or Mirchi Ka Salan.
- Check out our Mirchi Ka Salan Recipe